Summer is just getting started here in Newfoundland and Labrador. That means it’s time to start using the BBQ! Here are 8 reminders about safe BBQ use that we all need to know...
1) Never use propane or charcoal grills indoors. The results could be fatal.
2) Never use gasoline, kerosene, or alcohol to light charcoal. An explosion could occur.
3) The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches. BBQs create a lot of heat and become dangerous when too close to anything.
4) Store propane cylinders upright. Never store in an enclosed area, in sunlight, or within reach of children.
5) Never light a gas BBQ with the lid down.
6) Never leave a BBQ unattended while coals are hot or while gas is on.
7) Keep children and pets away from the grill area. Accidents happen.
8) Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill. You don’t want the fat to build up and catch on fire.