Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: (888) 579-3262
Phone: (709) 579-4000
Ches Crosbie Barristers

The insurance company wants to "total" my car after an accident. What does that mean?

When personal property is damaged, the person who damaged it usually must pay you the lesser of the cost of repairs (plus diminution of total value after repairs) or the fair market value of the property before the damage.

If it would cost more to repair the property than its fair market value just before the damage, this is known as "total damage" or "totaled."

So, instead of repairing the car (which they have no obligation to do) they will simply pay you what the car would have traded for the day prior to the damage.