Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: (888) 579-3262
Phone: (709) 579-4000
Ches Crosbie Barristers

My car accident was caused by an unidentified driver. Can I still sue for insurance compensation?

Another way to phrase this question is, "what happens if I was in a hit-and-run and the driver at fault is still unknown?" The answer is, you can still sue for insurance compensation. You would have to sue the unknown person and seek unidentified driver coverage from your own insurance company, which is part of everyone's standard insurance contract. A decision on this type of case by Newfoundland and Labrador's Court of Appeal favours the injured plaintiff and gives weight to the plaintiff's position. This is complicated situation and you'll want to speak to an experienced Newfoundland and Labrador injury lawyer about your situation. To read more on car accident's involving unknown drivers, click this link to our blog post.